top of page

What you Need to Know in Times of Bereavement

When death occurs at home

As soon as possible inform the doctor that the death has occurred. If a statement of intent is in place they may write out the Medical Certificate of Death upon their visit to the house, or may request you attend the surgery for this purpose. If certification takes place at the home we will be able to bring your loved one into our care once all medical professionals have been in attendance.

When death occurs in hospital

When someone passes away in hospital the procedures is very similar. Apply to the hospital for the Medical Certificate of Death and not your family doctor. We will then transfer your loved one into our care once all paperwork has been completed and you have been able to register the death.

The Coroner

In cases where a death has been reported to the Coroner the procedure is somewhat different. The Coroner and their officers are working in your interest. If no Doctor will issue a Medical Certificate of Death. This will be sent by the Coroner to the Registrar's Office in the district where the death occurred, after contact has been made with the Coroner's office. 

bottom of page